If you have a mortgage, you’ll be completing a mortgage renewal when your current term has finished.
While most Canadians spend a lot of time and expend tons of effort shopping for an initial mortgage, the same is generally not the case when looking at mortgage renewals.
So what is a mortgage renewal?
Mortgages are amortized *over a set term* which can vary from 1-10 years.
About 6 months before the end of your term, your current lender will suddenly become your best friend showering you with attention and trying to entice you with early renewal offers…
“Please, please sign here on the dotted line to renew… it’s sooo easy!!”
You have 3 options
- Sign and send back with no alterations or changes (don’t do it, really I mean it… don’t do it!!)
- Check the market to make sure you are getting the best rate and renegotiate with your current lender
- Talk to a HomeHow mortgage expert and together we can discuss the best options available for your situation
Lenders know that 80% of people will sign their renewal forms because it’s fast, easy and convenient. Banks & lenders push this “take it as it is” tactic to borrowers to ensure they make the highest profits to keep their shareholders happy. As an educated consumer, you need to take the time to ensure you are being offered the best possible rate & terms you can get.
Remember all those hours of research you did regarding lenders and mortgage rates when you were buying your first home… don’t forget!
It is true that signing the renewal document is easy, however it is in your best interest to take a more proactive approach. Money in the lenders pocket comes directly out of your pocket.
5 steps to save you money on your mortgage renewal
- Receive the renewal offer from your current mortgage lender and examine immediately. This gives you enough time to make an informed decision
- Do your online research about the best current rates for you
- Call your current lender and negotiate!
- If your lender will not offer you a better rate then it is time to move your mortgage. You will have to complete a mortgage application and gather applicable documentation just like you did for your original mortgage
- Take a look at your budget and see if you can increase the amount of your mortgage payments. This will eventually save you money by paying off your mortgage faster
Your mortgage is one of your biggest expenses. For this reason, it is so important to find the best interest rates and mortgage terms you possibly can.
As you can tell there is lots to discuss about mortgage renewals. We can help. Contact HomeHow today!